Makes 6 servings
1/2 lb. penne pasta
1/4 cup butter, divided
1/4 cup flour
2 cups whole milk
2 cups (8 oz.) Swiss cheese, shredded
1 cup (4 oz.) sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup asiago cheese, shredded
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 350oF. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in large stock pot over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour; cook 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in Swiss and Cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and about 3/4 of the bacon. Mix until cheeses are melted and well combined. Pour into greased 9x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Combine with asiago cheese, bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 bacon; mix well. Sprinkle over surface of casserole.
- Bake at 350oF. for 20 minutes until surface is browned and bubbly.